Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Messi: "Fabregas will return to Barca"
"Cesc has a place for Arsenal in his heart but he has Barcelona in his blood...There are only a few players in the world who can improve this squad we have but Cesc is one of them," Messi was quoted as saying by the Daily Express.
Despite the fact that Fabregas is under contract to Arsenal until 2014 and has pledged his future to the club on a number of occasions, he has been consistently linked with a return to Barcelona, the club he joined as a 10-year-old in 1997.
Messi said that he understood that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Fabregas shared a father-son relationship, but Barcelona was like family. "Barcelona is his city and it is the club of him and his family."
Asked if he would play for an English club, 22-year-old Messi said, "I will be here for as long as they want me. I owe Barcelona more than for for giving me a chance - I owe them for changing my life."
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Arsenal vs Barcelona FC preview: Messi set to steal the show with Gunners legend Henry consigned to the bench
This was supposed to be about Thierry Henry making his emotional return to Arsenal. But instead the 22-year-old who has been called the best player ever will take centre stage tonight.
Messi and Fabregas played in the same youth team at
Click here to find out more!
But Messi has blossomed at
His brilliant recent performances have brought him eight goals in his last three starts. That is why Henry will get a hero’s reception on his homecoming tonight, but all eyes will be on the player expected to be the big star of this summer’s World Cup and held up to be a name as big as Pele, Maradona and Cruyff in the future.
The only problem for
“I’m sure that when he finishes his career he will be one of the best players in the world. Absolutely." Messi’s
“He has already won everything and can get better. “The biggest threat to him is the motivation and whether he can keep going and improving at the highest level.” Messi will have even more pressure on his shoulders as
However, even the absence of Iniesta will not guarantee former Arsenal captain Henry a starting place for
“He’s returning home but winning is the most important thing.“Titi has a lot of experience, he’s an exceptional player. He’s used to playing in big games. He is the best player to have played at Arsenal, scored more than 100 goals and he’s a special player.”
But while Guardiola was rich in his praise for Henry, that was nothing compared to his admiration for Arsene Wenger. Ex-Spain and Barca midfielder Guardiola spent time at Arsenal’s training ground, learning from Wenger earlier in his career. Guardiola insisted he was one of the best coaches in the world – but warned that
Guardiola said: “Mr Wenger is one of the best coaches in the world, and has won many, many titles.
“He’s changed the mentality of this club and is the reason why people around the world respect and admire him and Arsenal. They are a phenomenal team.
“We all know that scoring an away goal is very important for the away leg so we will have attacking intentions. We will also defend well, but we will try to score – that’s our main idea.” Cesc Fabregas is the big concern for with Wenger naming a 19-man squad with youngster Craig Eastmond on standby for the bench.
Samir Nasri will step in for Fabregas if he does not make it with Tomas Rosicky ready to, slot in on the right.
Source: Mirror
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
What about Eduardo? UEFA Veredict
"The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body today examined the case of the Arsenal FC player Eduardo "for deceiving the referee" during the UEFA Champions League play-off second leg match on 26 August against Celtic FC, and has suspended the player for two Uefa club competition matches.
"This decision may be appealed against by the club or player within three working days of the dispatch of the reasoned decision."
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Arsenal’s Eduardo is fit after injury alert
The Croatian striker was named among the substitutes at Parkhead but was replaced on the bench by Jack Wilshere just before kick-off. Arsène Wenger explained why when he spoke to Arsenal TV Online at the training ground on Thursday.
"Eduardo had a tight groin in the warm-up and he felt he could not play," said the Frenchman. "He had no power and we had to change [the teamsheet] quickly.
Wenger reported no new injuries from that bruising encounter in Glasgow but, on the flip side, none of Arsenal's injured quintet are fit to return. The manager was hoping to call on Theo Walcott for the first home game of the season but his back problem has still not healed.
"I don't believe we have anyone injured from Tuesday night's game at Celtic," said Wenger. "Eduardo I believe will be back in contention but Theo Walcott will not be back at all. Rosicky, Djourou, Nasri, Fabianski - they will all be out.
"There is a slight concern [over Walcott's back injury] but we believe it is a question of days and not of weeks.
"We will see [if he is fit to face Manchester United next Saturday]. It is always difficult to set a date. I thought he would be available for Celtic, I thought he would be available for Everton, but he wasn't. That's why we will be cautious."
Arsenal Press
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Celtic - Arsenal for Champions League place: a complete friendly record
Arsenal and Celtic have never met in a competitive fixture but they have crossed swords for other reasons.
They first met back in 1897 and have played a further 12 times with Arsenal beating their Scottish opponents three times but losing on seven occasions.
Below is the full list of clashes including the occasion and result.
Date Competition Opposition H/A/N W/D/L F A
02-08-2003 Friendly Celtic A D 1 1
13-05-2002 Tony Adams Testimonial Celtic H L 1 2
31-07-1996 Friendly Celtic A L 1 2
30-07-1991 Paul Davis Testimonial Celtic H D 2 2
01-08-1987 Friendly Celtic A W 5 1
05-08-1986 David O'Leary Testimonial Celtic H L 0 2
04-08-1984 Friendly Celtic A W 5 1
25-11-1980 Sammy Nelson Testimonial Celtic H D 0 0
08-08-1978 Friendly Celtic A W 3 0
24-07-1977 World of Soccer Tournament,
11-05-1953 Coronation Cup Celtic A L 0 1
26-12-1906 Friendly Celtic H L 0 2
15-02-1897 Friendly Celtic H L 4 5
Arsenal Press
Monday, August 17, 2009
Arsenal FC 2009 / 2010 squad and numbers: Premier League and Champions League

1 GK Manuel Almunia
2 MF Abou Diaby
3 DF Bacary Sagna
4 MF Cesc Fàbregas (captain)
5 DF Thomas Vermaelen
6 DF Philippe Senderos
7 MF Tomáš Rosický
8 MF Samir Nasri
9 FW Eduardo
10 DF William Gallas
11 FW Robin van Persie
12 FW Carlos Vela
14 FW Theo Walcott
15 MF Denílson
16 MF Aaron Ramsey
17 DF Alexandre Song
18 DF Mikaël Silvestre
19 MF Jack Wilshere
20 DF Johan Djourou
21 GK Łukasz Fabiański
22 DF Gaël Clichy
23 MF Andrei Arshavin
24 GK Vito Mannone
27 MF Emmanuel Eboué
28 DF Kieran Gibbs
30 DF Armand Traoré
46 MF Fran Mérida
52 FW Nicklas Bendtner
53 GK Wojciech Szczęsny
Monday, August 10, 2009
Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona?
Barcelona have confirmed that they are interested in signing the Arsenal captain Cesc Fábregas, but have ruled out breaking the bank to bring the Spain midfielder back to Camp Nou.
Fábregas, who left
"It depends on how much we want to spend," Begiristain said in the Spanish tabloid Marca. "If we spend a lot of money, it is possible [to bid for Fábregas]. We do not know how much it will be yet. We have not asked Arsenal. If the amount is too high, we will not try."
"We find it difficult to improve what we have and that is the reality," added Begiristain. "Improving a team that has won a treble is difficult, and trying to improve dramatically can get you into trouble. Any new player must be compatible with the plans of the coach. Here the views of Pep Guardiola are critical."
One possible target is Shakhtar Donetsk's Dmytro Chygrynskiy, and Begiristain would not rule out a move for the Ukranian. "I don't want to dismiss any of the players we like and will help us improve," he said. "There are several options."
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Tomas Rosicky return: “We will be stronger this season”
Speaking after making his long-awaited Emirates Stadium comeback over the weekend, the Czech midfielder disagreed with critics who suggested that Arsenal had been weakened by the departures of Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure.
The African duo may have moved north to Manchester City last month but Rosicky believes Arsenal are in better shape than they were this time last year.
Then, himself and Eduardo were both laid low with long-term injuries while Andrey Arshavin was still plying his trade for Zenit St Petersburg. For Rosicky, that’s why the Gunners should fear no-one in 2009/10.
“We have plenty of options and it will be interesting,” the 28-year-old said. “That is why I think we can be stronger than last season because the boss will have more options.
“Of course we lost two very good players in Kolo and Adebayor, there is no doubt about that. But you can see, even though Adebayor left, we have so many possibilities or options up front and we’re scoring goals and creating chances.
“I don’t think the best players left. There is still Cesc Fabregas, there is still Andrey Arshavin – the best players are still in the squad.
“I think [Arshavin] made an immediate impact in the six months where he played. Everybody can see he is a very intelligent, dangerous player for every opponent.
“I don’t see why we should be scared of somebody. I don’t see this point, I see the offensive potential we have and I think we have to focus on us. Of course we know we have to do better – we are not blind to that – but we can see it’s positive.”
Another unexpected option for Arsène Wenger could be 17-year-old Jack Wilshere, who illuminated the Emirates Cup with two goals and two Man of the Match awards at the weekend.
Of his fellow midfielder, Tomas said: “The boy is very gifted, everybody can see that,
“He is very difficult to mark because he is small in stature, has very quick feet and is intelligent.
“He is a very exciting prospect for the whole of English football I think.”
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Jack Wilshere impresses and Rosicky return: Arsenal 3 – Rangers 0

The midfielder, just 17, came off the bench to seal victory over Atletico Madrid on Saturday.
He was rewarded with 90 minutes against Rangers in today's Emirates Cup final.
Wilshere bagged the opener after just two minutes with Eduardo grabbing the second soon after.
And he completed the rout with Arsenal's third after the break.
Having lost Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure to Manchester City over past fortnight, critics have hit out at Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.
His lack of activity in this summer's transfer market has led some to believe their grip on a top four spot could slip to City this season.
But in Wilshere they have a little ray of light.
The tiny youngster showed he can be just the tonic for doubting Arsenal supporters by blasting in the first.
Fellow whizkid Fran Merida then played in Croatian striker Eduardo to double the lead as the Gunners cruised ahead.
Wilshere was the star of the show though and he almost nabbed another before the break when he beat three players but his majestic chip was tipped over.
He continued to impress after the break, wriggling his way through the Rangers defence only to shoot wide.
Steven Naismith fluffed a glorious chance to pull one back before Wilshere struck again.
Sub Aaron Ramsey's inch-perfect pass was stroked home by the on-rushing England youth international.
Source: The Sun
Arsenal smash fundraising target for Teenage Cancer Trust
The money raised through the ‘Be a Gooner. Be a Giver.’ campaign will enable Teenage Cancer Trust to create a unique Day Care Cancer Unit for young people within a brand new Centre being built at University College Hospital in London.
Arsenal’s legacy within this unit will be a state-of-the-art Education Zone plus a social space designed to make young patients feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible when receiving their treatment. Building work on the Centre will begin in 2010.
The money raised smashes all previous fundraising totals for Arsenal’s Charity of the Season initiative, which has been running for six consecutive years. The figure is testament to the many innovative fundraising activities which took place throughout the 12 month partnership, including the charity’s dedicated matchday - Arsenal v Liverpool - in December 2008. All first team players and directors donated a day’s wages to Teenage Cancer Trust and supporters were encouraged to do the same. £210,000 was raised in just one day.
Speaking about the partnership, Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted to smash our target of raising £300,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust as well as building awareness and understanding of the needs of teenagers and young adults with cancer. The dedication of everyone involved with the charity has been phenomenal and all should be proud of the amazing delivery of fundraising initiatives Teenage Cancer Trust have introduced to our supporters over the course of the partnership. The fans have been fantastic with their generosity yet again for our Charity of the Season, and it is thanks to them that teenage cancer patients will have this fantastic Education Zone and Social Space within the revolutionary Unit once built.”
Roger Daltrey, CBE, Arsenal fan and Patron of Teenage Cancer Trust said: “As an Arsenal fan I am proud of how the Club and its fans from across the world got behind Teenage Cancer Trust last season. This incredible fundraising total is testament to the dedication and generosity of the Arsenal
community. Their support will enable Teenage Cancer Trust to make a huge difference to many young people with cancer through our new, much needed day care unit which will be built in London.”
Other partnership highlights include ‘Be a Gunner. Be a Runner.’; a ten lap fun-run around Emirates Stadium which raised over £40,000 with 150 runners taking part. Arsenal’s official car supplier Citroën became the first Club sponsor to ever be involved with the Club’s Charity of the Season partnership. Citroën generously donated a C4 car which was then designed by world famous cartoonist Gerald Scarfe in consultation with Robin van Persie, Gael Clichy and Manuel Almunia. The ‘Ultimate Arsenal Fans’ Car’ was raffled from March until the end of the season and with tickets costing just £2 each, nearly 6000 tickets were bought raising over £11,700 for the charity.
Arsenal’s staff were more involved than ever this year through the ‘Charity Champion’ initiative. Each department within the Club had a nominated Champion throughout the partnership and together, over £40,000 was raised over the season from staff. Arsenal’s Supporters Clubs were also more involved and doubled their total raised for TreeHouse last season, contributing a massive £22,000 to the fundraising target. In particular, Arsenal Herts & Beds Supporters Club initiated an ‘Arsenal Imprints’ idea, which saw Andrey Arshavin, Samir Nasri and Jack Wilshere all give clay imprints of their feet, and the imprints were then auctioned via eBay with all proceeds going to Teenage Cancer Trust.
The partnership’s finale, the Legends & Youth Ball, was held in May at Emirates Stadium. Hosted by Little Britain star Matt Lucas and attended by the first team, Arsène Wenger and a raft of celebrity supporters, the evening was an outstanding celebration of the success of the partnership. Guests were treated to performances by The Who & V V Brown and over £160,000 was raised on the evening for Teenage Cancer Trust.
With the new season commencing on 15 August 2009, Teenage Cancer Trust will be handing the Charity of the Season baton to Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity, one of the world’s leading children’s hospitals.
Source: Arsenal Press
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Kolo Toure could leave Arsenal to City
Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Kolo Toure could leave Arsenal to join
The 28-year-old defender played for Arsenal in a pre-season friendly in
Toure would become
Wenger has confirmed talks are ongoing and said the picture would be clearer tomorrow. "We will see what's happening in the next 24 hours, nothing is decided yet," he said. "We have seven centre-backs and I am in the position where I have to play some in midfield but of course Kolo is a very good player and we will see what will happen."
Arsenal have signed central defender Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax and Wenger hinted that he will make more signings before the transfer window closes. "I am more focused on getting everybody fit for the start of the season but we are looking at opportunities as well, there are still some pre-season games to see what we really need. When the time comes we will do something."
Source: Times Online
Monday, July 27, 2009
Arsenal linked to £13m Mirko Vucinic swoop with Nicklas Bendtner set for Roma
The Gunners, eyeing a striker to replace Emmanuel Adebayor, have reportedly joined the queue of suitors for the Montenegro striker.
Vucinic recently said he had no interest in a mooted switch to Tottenham Hotspur and, while he has also been tracked by Manchester United and Chelsea, Roma have previously insisted there has been no formal approach for the 25-year-old.
Wenger is also keen on Toulouse striker Andre-Pierre Gignac, Bordeaux's Marouane Chamakh and has also been linked to Real Madrid outcast Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. But he has now made his move for Vucinic, according to Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.
Roma need to sell to eat into their huge debts, but are keen to keep Vucinic and midfielder Daniele De Rossi, with Alberto Aquilani and Jeremy Menez preferred as players they are wishing to sacrifice.
Liverpool have lined up Aquilani, 25, as a replacement for Xabi Alonso, should the Spain midfielder leave for Real Madrid. And Marseille have been linked with a move for 22-year-old French forward Menez.
Source: Daily Mail
Friday, July 24, 2009
Emmanuel Adebayor: Arsenal fans drove me to the exit
Adebayor, 25, became City’s latest high-profile recruit when moving to Eastlands in a £25 million deal on July 18, bringing to an end sustained speculation regarding his future in North London.
A perceived summer of flirtation with both Barcelona and Milan last year provoked long-standing resentment amongst some elements of the Arsenal support and the striker is unhappy at the treatment he received despite the impressive contribution he made in the 2005-06 season.
"The way the fans behaved towards me was not nice at all," said Adebayor. "I can't understand why they were after me. I did my best for them and I was very happy there.
"I scored 30 goals in a season - it's not my fault that Milan, Barcelona or Real Madrid wanted to sign me.
"In any summer, Barcelona try to sign Cesc Fabregas. But the fans never turned on him."
Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, admitted during a shareholders meeting in May that ‘bad feelings’ from supporters had affected the striker who joined the club from Monaco in January 2006.
Source: Times Online
