Custom Search

Friday, July 24, 2009

Beckham fined over fans incident

David Beckham has been fined $1,000 (£600) by Major League Soccer (MLS) following his confrontation with a fan during a friendly against AC Milan.

Beckham angered some fans of his LA Galaxy team by missing part of the MLS season while on loan at Milan, and was booed during the game.

At half-time, he approached one group of fans and appeared to challenge them to meet him on the pitch.

Security staff intervened, and police arrested a fan who left the stands. MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a statement: "Our players should never engage in conduct that can be interpreted as encouraging fans to come out of the stands and on to the field, regardless of the reason."

Beckham has insisted he is staying with the LA Galaxy despite the hostile response from some supporters.

He said: "At the end of the day, I play my game, whether I get booed or not doesn't matter to me.

"But I don't like my family seeing that and hearing that (abuse), from an organised group of fans.

"I think it was disrespectful, some of the things that were being said and also some of the banners, but it is what it is."

Beckham, 34, joined Milan on loan because he was keen to satisfy England boss Fabio Capello's demand that he play at the highest level to remain in contention for international selection.

He is England's most capped outfield player, with 112 appearances, and is keen to play on until the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Beckham said he could handle any negative reaction in LA sparked by his attempts to prolong his England career.

"It is not about whether I can move on. To be honest, all I'm going to do is play my football, and as long as it's good enough for myself and the team nothing else matters," he said.

Beckham has a five-year MLS contract, which began in 2007 and allows for him to spend the off-season on loan at a European club.

He added he will be available for England's friendly against the Netherlands in August, if selected.

"Everyone knows that I've always been available for my country whether it be a friendly or a qualifying game, so I'm always available," he said.

"I've spoken to (Galaxy coach) Bruce (Arena) and he's more than happy that if I get called up for my country he and the club totally support that, so it's not a problem."

Asked about rumours he and his family are selling their LA base, Beckham joked: "As far as I know, no. I hope not because I want somewhere to live (here) for quite a few years."

Source: BBC Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment