Custom Search

Friday, July 24, 2009

Esteban Granero: "Sometimes you have to take the long way around to get to Real Madrid"

Esteban Granero rejoined Real Madrid as excited as when he first suited up in white at the age of eight. The newest member of the Madridista squad commented on his return home during today’s press conference.

Welcome to Real Madrid. What does this return mean to you?
Thank you. You know that I spent many years in the academy, but being a member of the first team is a dream come true. I think it is also the first step in fulfilling other dreams, like winning many titles. I now have the chance to fight for a spot as a starter and I will do whatever it takes.

You finally returned when it looked like you might stay at Getafe. Did you ever lose hope of coming back?
No. I think every summer is different. There were some doubts this summer, but luckily I made it back. The club’s top brass and the team’s coaching staff have faith in me, and for that I am grateful. I am now in a good position and it’s up to me to earn a spot. I am very grateful for the confidence placed in me.

What other things do you dream about?
Suiting up in the first team dressing room is the right path to be on, but I will not settle with just that. I am an ambitious person and I will fight for a spot and learn a lot. This year’s goal is to win many titles because that is what Real Madrid deserves.

Were you assured that you will continue here?
I will continue playing here.

Have you spoken to Pellegrini about your chances of playing?
We did get to speak and he told me he has faith in me. He said that I was a member of the team and that I will have the same opportunities as the rest. I am not asking for matches, but just the opportunity to earn a spot. It doesn’t depend on me. I am where I am because the coaching staff has faith in me.

Have you spoken to Cristiano Ronaldo?
We greeted one another. He is a pleasant person and there will be plenty of time to get to know one another.

How do you feel being able to work by his side?
It makes me proud and I know I can learn a lot from him. He is one of the best players in the world, if not the best, so having the chance to assist him as a midfielder is incredible.

What do you think the team can win this season?
I don’t think we can settle for nothing. We cannot give up on anything, and everything is possible with players like Cristiano Ronaldo and the many others who have arrived.

Do you feel any pressure after hearing Valdano say that the door is closed to future signings but that you were the exception?
I don’t feel any pressure. I do feel very responsible. Being a member of this squad is complicated and it has to be earned. I am proud to wear the Real Madrid shirt, both in matches and during training.

Why is it that you turned down money to play for Real Madrid?
I accepted the offer before it was ever laid on the table. It may sound like demagoguery to say that the money doesn’t matter, but I think there are more important things. Money took a back seat in my case. .

Abidal advised Ribery to sign for Barrcelona. What advice would you give him?
I recommend that he signs for Real Madrid because we are a competitive team and he can learn a lot here. Every football has Real Madrid at the top of his list.

Did you recommend that Parejo sign for Getafe?
My two years at Getafe were great. I was treated very well and played a lot of matches in both La Liga and in Europe. I learned a lot from my teammates and coaches. Sometimes you have to take the long way around to get to Real Madrid, and spending time with Getafe served me well.

Do you prefer a huge presentation or something more intimate?
I was presented yesterday afternoon and I was anxious to train and to meet my teammates. There is plenty of time to play at the stadium.

What did you learn at Getafe?
A lot. I gained a lot of experience. I played a lot of matches in Primera Division and Europe. I played in several positions, both in the midfield and along the flanks, and I think that versatility will help me.

Do you think the arrival of Xabi Alonso would hurt your chances of playing?
I don’t think so. It is not one of my concerns. I would love for Real Madrid to have the best players to be able to share a dressing room with and to compete against for a spot in the starting eleven.

Does joining Real Madrid hamper your progress because of all the players who are being signed?
On the contrary. It is a step forward. Playing will be a little trickier, but it will make the challenge that much more interesting and I decided to take that step in my career. I don’t think it will hamper anything, but rather that it is a step forward.

Source: Real Madrid Press

No comments:

Post a Comment