Custom Search

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Guardiola on Eto'o: “The decision’s mine”


Josep Guardiola takes full responsibility for developments with Samuel Eto’o. He says the decision to do without the player is due to “feeling” and has nothing to do with football or behaviour issues.

As was to be expected, the first question at his press conference was about whether Samuel Eto'o is to stay at Barça. Guardiola made things clear: “Without him we wouldn’t have done what we did last year. There are no football or personal or behaviour issues here. It’s just a feeling I have. I think there is a need for change. Maybe I’m wrong but it’s my responsibility and decision”.


Eto'o is exemplary

Guardiola had not one bad word to say about the striker. He said Eto’o is an “exemplary” player willing to play out of position on the wing and a “marvellous” footballer. He thinks Eto’o was crucial in winning the treble and is “very grateful” for all he’s done for Barça over the last five years.


He also did not criticise his character: “There are no personal issues and I’m not here to change his character”. Doing without the player is just a “feeling I have”.


“I think there is a need for change”

He didn’t specify what he meant by this, but did refer to “lots of things that bring it about”. “After winning what we’ve won and after five years, I think we need to change things which my experience as a footballer tells me we need to change”. In other words, teams which win things need to change.


Takes full responsibility

Guardiola is aware that Eto'o has the whip hand - “he’s fully entitled to accept or reject Inter’s offer, and if he stays we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it” – but he knows that this is the type of decision he has to take as a manager. “It’s my responsibility,” he said. “Maybe I’m wrong and maybe it won’t work out.”


Wants just one ‘9'

Guardiola was asked if he’d thought about signing Ibrahimovic if Eto'o stays. “We’re rich, but not that rich,” he replied with a smile. “It won’t happen. You don’t want too many players in key positions and both of them are starters.”


FC Barcelona Press

No comments:

Post a Comment