Custom Search

Friday, July 24, 2009

Emmanuel Adebayor: Arsenal fans drove me to the exit

Emmanuel Adebayor has accused Arsenal fans of driving him out of the club and into the arms of Manchester City.

Adebayor, 25, became City’s latest high-profile recruit when moving to Eastlands in a £25 million deal on July 18, bringing to an end sustained speculation regarding his future in North London.

A perceived summer of flirtation with both Barcelona and Milan last year provoked long-standing resentment amongst some elements of the Arsenal support and the striker is unhappy at the treatment he received despite the impressive contribution he made in the 2005-06 season.

"The way the fans behaved towards me was not nice at all," said Adebayor. "I can't understand why they were after me. I did my best for them and I was very happy there.

"I scored 30 goals in a season - it's not my fault that Milan, Barcelona or Real Madrid wanted to sign me.

"In any summer, Barcelona try to sign Cesc Fabregas. But the fans never turned on him."

Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, admitted during a shareholders meeting in May that ‘bad feelings’ from supporters had affected the striker who joined the club from Monaco in January 2006.

Source: Times Online

No comments:

Post a Comment